6 Variations of Classic Homemade Hot Cocoa
A classic drink to warm you up for the holidays
There’s nothing better than a mug filled with warm, decadent hot cocoa. Perfect for cozy nights by the fireplace or festive gatherings with loved ones, this classic beverage has been a comforting companion for chilly days and cozy evenings for generations. In this recipe, learn how to make the perfect cup of hot cocoa, with five delightful variations if you want to twist it up. Whether you prefer the rich simplicity of traditional hot cocoa or crave a unique twist with added flavours, this collection has something for everyone.
Makes 1 serving
What You Need:
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sugar (or substitute a smaller amount of honey)
- 1 cup milk (skim, 1% or 2% milk; alternatively soy milk, almond milk or rice milk)
How to Make Hot Cocoa
- Whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar and a few tablespoons of the milk until it is dissolved (note this step is important before adding the rest of the milk to prevent lumps).
- Add the rest of the milk and heat.
5 other additions for adventuresome palates:
- Vanilla velvet: Add 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Spiced-up: Add a pinch of cinnamon, a cinnamon stick or alternatively gingerbread spice
- Hot stuff: Add a pinch of allspice, nutmeg and ground ancho chilies
- Salty-sweet: Add a pinch of flaky sea salt
- Go nuts: Add a tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter and use a hand-held emersion blender or mini milk frother to blend
Nutrients per serving:
(Original recipe made with 1% milk)
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Protein: 10 g
Fat: 3.8 g
Dietary Fibre: 3.6 g
Looking for more healthy, dietitian-approved recipes?
Sign up for our weekly newsletter for a healthy recipe of the week and nutrition articles and videos with a balanced living philosophy to help encourage healthy habits but still save room for your favorites.
Our nutrition newsletter is written by the Calgary Nutritionists on our team who each hold a professional Registered Dietitian license to ensure you are getting credible advice.
Find out why over 10,000 people follow the newsletter below:
SIGN UP FOR NEWSLETTER
Looking for more warm drink or holiday recipes? Check these out!
3 Warm Beverage Ideas
The Ultimate Guide to Healthy Teas
Fun Holiday Food Ideas for the Whole Family
About Andrea Holwegner
CEO, Registered Dietitian, Counseling Practice Director & Professional Speaker
Andrea the «Chocolate Loving Nutritionist» is founder and CEO of Health Stand Nutrition Consulting Inc. since 2000. She is an online nutrition course creator, professional speaker and regular guest in the media. Andrea is the recipient of an award by the Dietitians of Canada: The Speaking of Food & Healthy Living Award for Excellence in Consumer Education….Read more